If my wife and I have Obamacare and my wife just passed, can I drop her from the policy and continue just with me on that policy or do I have to get a new policy? What is the process? Will my rate be cheaper?


If you are on a family plan and someone loses eligibility for the plan, you get a 60 day special enrollment window to switch to an individual plan. This can be because someone turned 26, a spouse or family member passed, you get divorced or for any other qualifying life change. The same thing works the other way around too. If you get married, have a baby, or adopt you can switch from an individual plan to a family plan.

Learn more about special enrollment and qualifying life events here.

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.