COVID-19 ObamaCare Facts
Facts on ObamaCare and Coronavirus
We cover facts related to COVID-19 and healthcare under the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare). This includes facts on free tests, coverage for coronavirus, extended enrollment dates, and more.
- Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that may cause illness in animals or humans.
- The most recently discovered coronavirus causes coronavirus disease COVID-19.
- COVID-19 symptoms include Fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Get more Coronavirus facts from the CDC.
- Washing your hands, social distancing, and self-isolation can all help stop the spread of COVID-19. Get more facts on coronavirus prevention from the World Health Organization.
- Measures like social distancing can help “flatten the curve.” This means slowing the rate of transmission and thus putting less pressure on the healthcare system, And that means delivering better quality healthcare to those with COVID-19 and other conditions. Learn more about social distancing and flattening the curve.
- Some states extended special enrollment due to coronavirus under ObamaCare. See a list of COVID-19 dates and deadlines.
- ObamaCare generally covers coronavirus. Having a plan bought on the marketplace, or another plan that adheres to the ACA’s benefits, rights, and protections like Medicaid, means coverage for COVID-19. Learn more about how COVID-19 is covered under Obamacare.
- COVID-19 testing is free on all health insurance plans that comply with the ACA and on Medicaid. Free testing may not be required on short term health plans. Please note that treatment isn’t free on most plans, only testing is (although Medicaid delivers free or low cost care, treatment on other plans is subject to cost sharing like any other care).
- COVID-19 testing is free for those without health insurance. The free testing provisions can be found in the Families First Response Act of 2020.