- For 2022, your out-of-pocket maximum can be no more than $8,700 for an individual plan and $17,400 for a family plan before marketplace subsidies. These numbers have been revised up for 2022, they were slightly lower, $8,550 and $17,100 respectively in 2021.
- For 2022, your maximum deductible is the same as the out-of-pocket maximum.
NOTE: The individual limit applies to each individual in the plan. Thus, for 2022, even though the family limit is $17,400, no one member can occur more than $8,700 in covered expenses before the maximum is reached for that member.
TIP: See Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2022 for final levels.
Maximums and Deductibles on HSA-Eligible Plans in 2022
The maximum and deductible requirements for HSA qualifying plans are not the same as maximums and deductibles on health plans in general. Below are the HSA limits for 2022.
Minimum Deductible for HSA Eligibility 2022
- $1,400 for self-only coverage (no change from 2021)
- $2,800 for family coverage (no change from 2021)
NOTE: It is $2,800 for embedded individual deductible (no change from 2021)
NOTE: The minimum deductible, which is the minimum deductible your High Deductible Health Plan must have after cost assistance.
Maximum Out-of-Pocket Limit for HSA Eligibility 2022
- $7,050 for self-only coverage ($50 increase from 2021)
- $14,100 for family coverage ($100 increase from 2021)
NOTE: The maximum out-of-pocket is the highest maximum a plan can have to qualify for an HSA.
TIP: The maximums are slightly lower on HSA compatible plans than they are in general on health plans. This has to do with the fact that the rates are raised by different mechanisms. The difference allows for non-HSA compatible high deductible plans. Thus, if you want an HSA, make sure your plan is “HSA Eligible.”
HSA Contribution Limit for 2022
- $3,650 for self-only coverage
- $7,300 for family coverage
NOTE: 55 plus can contribute an extra $1,000.
TIP: See Revenue Procedure 2021-25 for final HSA levels.
- out-of-pocket maximum limit. HealthCare.Gov.
- See Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2020 for final levels.
- See Revenue Procedure 2020-32 for final HSA levels.