I have 6 children from Cambodia under a student visas. Can I apply the Obamacare for these children. One of them is very sick and already had to have an emergency surgery and may require more. The ages are from 10-14 years old. I do not need coverage but the children do. Please let me know. Thank you


You can get a Marketplace plan with a student visa, but not Medicaid and CHIP in many states due to a "5 year ban".

Since 2009, children and pregnant women can be eligible for Medicaid/ CHIP, including during the five-year ban, if they reside in a state that has chosen to extend coverage under the Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act of 2009 (CHIPRA).

Find out if your state has this option in place.

In an emergency situation you should still use a local hospital and consult with the staff as to your options. Many hospitals will be able to help you with enrollment.

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nadia Khan on

My husband I are both international students. We have a 10 year old son. While we are both on the mandatory health plan provided by the university, we would like to get an affordable plan for our son. We would like it to include dental and vision along with medical. How can we apply for ObamaCare if our son qualifies? How can we get more information on costs and plans?

[email protected] Erin on

Obamacare is not a healthcare insurer. It is slang term for the law the Affordable Care Act. You can shop for private insurers providing plans that qualify as minimal essential coverage and find out what cost assistance you might qualify for on the health insurance marketplace. You can also find the exact same plans with the exact same insurers off of the marketplace through brokers or by calling insurers directly.