To whom it may concern,

My name is Marwen Eid, I’m a Lebanese-American doctor, graduated from Lebanon this year and I’m going to MUSC in south Carolina for a year of volunteer non paid research.

It is required of me to have a health insurance and I’m not covered by the university and since I have no income and will be paid for by my parents, I was wondering if I would be eligible for obamacare.

I would be grateful if you could help me out.


If you have no income, and you are a student, your access to assistance depends upon your tax filing status and the state you live in. If you go to school and reside in a state that expanded Medicaid you qualify for Medicaid (assuming you file taxes independently of your parents) as qualifying is based on MAGI income. If your state didn't expand you may be able to join a family plan of with your parents (if they qualify for Marketplace tax credits). If you join a family plan make sure it's a multi-state ppo. Your university may offer some sort of assisted plan as well.

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Alie on

So youre a doctor but not insured? That doesnt make sense. Are you a u.s. Citizen? Or just on a visa? Do you have a greencard? You might want to look into becoming a citizen. America is great!