Here is our ObamaCare Thanksgiving list of the reasons we are grateful for the Affordable Care Act.Before you read our ObamaCare Thanksgiving list, take a moment to listen to a Thanksgiving message from our President.
We are grateful to the Affordable Care Act because:
• 8 million got affordable coverage through the marketplace and millions more got covered last year by other means.
• The 1 in 2 Americans who technically have a pre-existing condition can’t be denied coverage or care based on health status.
• 5.9 million adults in states that expanded Medicaid have access to affordable coverage.
• The state who didn’t expand Medicaid to 5.7 million still have an opportunity to do so.
• Young adults under 26 can stay on their parents plan.
• 26 million won’t face the fee for not having coverage since affordable health insurance means not having to pay more than 8% of family income for the cheapest plan, or 9.5% of family income for employee only coverage through an employer.
• Large employers have to cover full-time workers between 2015 and 2016.
• Women can’t be charged more than men for health insurance.
• Women’s health services have been improved and many are now free.
• No one can be dropped from coverage for any other reason aside from fraud or failure to pay, including making a mistake on your application.
• All Americans have the right to quickly appeal any health insurance company decision.
• Health insurance companies must follow minimum guidelines for health insurance costs.
• All Americans have the right to get an easy-to-understand summary about a health plan’s benefits and coverage.
• A 25% increase in marketplace plans, an average increase in premium growth of only 4%, and higher cost assistance thresholds (Federal Poverty Levels) mean more people will get better deals on coverage through the marketplace this year.
• Medicare solvency has been extended to at least 2030 under the ACA.
• Medicare fraud and overspending is being curbed.
• The Medicare Part-D prescription drug ‘donut hole’ is closing by 2020, with assistance in the meantime.
• Restaurant chain with over 20 locations have to post calorie counts.
• Healthcare spending is finally being addressed.
• Over 50 attempts to repeal the Affordable Care Act have failed, ensuring tens of millions of uninsured have the right to affordable coverage.
There is a lot of ‘ObamaCare Facts‘ be grateful for this Thanksgiving. Take a moment and find a reason to be grateful for the Affordable Care Act. Even if you paid a little bit more this year, tens of millions of Americans now have access to affordable health insurance and some of them for the first time. Don’t let your Thanksgiving conversation focus on myths and talking points, break out some facts and keep the conversation on a positive track.