My husband and I had a good plan through Obama care and then unbeknownst to me, when our furnace went out, he missed several payments and we were canceled. I didn’t find that out until open enrollment was closed. I have called several numbers and there’s a message that says they will call back to help, and they never do. I desperately need coverage. I have several health problems that need to be addressed ASAP.
Any help you can give me, even if it’s just for me to be covered, would be greatly appreciated.
- Contact your insurer and ask them to reinstate the plan. You should have a window of opportunity to make good on payments before they care canceled. At least 30 days is required under law before coverage can be canceled.
- Qualify for one of the many other qualify life events that trigger special enrollment.
- Qualify for Medicaid and CHIP based on MAGI income.
- Get short term health insurance to protect your health (doesn't protect you from the fee).
- Get coverage through an employer who offers coverage (can be a 90 day waiting period).
- See other options for those who missed the deadline (most of these apply to those who lose coverage mid year).
- Look into exemptions from the fee.
- Appeal any decisions you don't agree with.
This seems frustrating, but the rules are in place to ensure people don't wait until they need care to get coverage or switch plans. Still for those who honestly let coverage lapse by accident the rule really its counter productive to ensuring all Americans are covered and essentially works as a handout to the insurers allowing insurers to collect a few premiums and then drop folks before they have to cover anything. Certainly a more elegant solution is needed.