My son has just returned home. He has been incarcerated for the past eight years. He now works for a small company that does not yet offer insurance.

What do we have to do to be in compliance and obtain some form of insurance coverage for him?

Thank you for your time and help.


Those who are incarcerated are exempt from the requirement to have health coverage, once a person leaves incarceration it triggers a special enrollment period to use the Marketplace. Other options include Medicaid and CHIP for those who don't have access to employer-sponsored coverage. The fee for not having coverage is based on household income, he may qualify for an exemption, and is exempt for the months he was incarcerated. Generally, those without coverage should look into options immediately as almost all are time sensitive.

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.