I am 50 years old, unemployed, and have a 22 year old son who is a full time college student. We have no income. What are we required to do to comply? We are residents of South Carolina.


If you are unemployed and will have no income you are exempt from the fee, but may be eligible for free or low cost coverage through Medicaid.

In state's that did expand Medicaid everyone making less than 400% of the Federal Poverty Level should have access to affordable coverage through Medicaid or the Marketplace.

In state's that didn't expand, like South Carolina, millions of Americans fall in "the Medicaid Gap" (the gap between subsidies and Medicaid eligibility).

Judging by the information you gave us, it unfortunately looks like you may be in "the Medicaid Gap". Remember that next time you vote, your state leaders decided not to participate.

That being said take a shot and apply for HealthCare.Gov. If you can project income over the 100% Federal Poverty Level you may be able to get a Marketplace plan with cost assistance.

And here is a pro tip: If you apply for Medicaid and are rejected (even though you know you will be rejected) you are exempt from the fee and will have access to catastrophic coverage. You'll need to apply for the exemption at HealthCare.Gov using your rejection letter as proof. So don't miss that step.

The good news for some folks like you is that, while states like South Carolina didn't expand Medicaid, some parents may be eligible for Medicaid if their child is on CHIP (children's Medicaid).

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Lilly on

I live in New York State, My job close down and we were terminated being a union shop I have insurance until December 31. I am now on unemployment and have a 20,19,16 year old What type of ins do I qualify for

Shawn Rau on

I purchased an INSURANCE plan with high deductible. The agent did not inform me that this purchased plan was NOT eligible for the ACA RULE.
Do I have to pay the penalty?

ObamaCareFacts.com on

You can potentially get an exemption for this. I would contact healthare.gov and take a close look at the 8962 form.

Renae Michelle Alexander on

I am currently unemployed at 55. but actively searching for employment in Iowa, would like to know about plans here in the Des Moines area which I could enroll and receive free health care.

ObamaCareFacts.com on

IOWA expanded Medicaid, so you would apply for Medicaid. You can start by contacting the Marketplace (Healthcare.gov), or you can go straight to your state Medicaid office https://www.medicaid.gov/about-us/contact-us/contact-state-page.html.

Learn more: https://www.healthinsurance.org/iowa-medicaid/

Maria E. on

My husband is going thru medical issues and is not being able to work for a few months now and his job terminated him and he applied for unemployment benefits. what is going to happen to his obama care insurance that he has to pay monthly and now we will not be able to pay for it and if he does not get a job he is not getting any money when de benefits expired. how all these is considered in his case. I myselg am a three year cancer survivor still under treatment and not able to work so our financials are in crisis. can somebody please guide me what to do ?


ObamaCareFacts.com on

Medicaid could be an option depending on what state you are in. It is often a good idea to start by contacting the HealthCare.Gov marketplace and Medicaid and then asking local hospitals and charities if that doesn’t work. So much depends on the region and the specifics of your family though.