I plan on retiring from my teaching job in June, but will not be eligible for retirement health benefits because I will not have 25 years in our NJ pension system.
Will I qualify for a “special” enrollment period for ObamaCare? I am 62 so will need insurance after June until I am eligible for Medicare.


Everyone who is under 65 qualifies for ObamaCare based on income, period. When you leave your job or lose your coverage you'll be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period.

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Kristi Youngdahl on

Answer Rating:

I would like to know if I can afford health insurance, after one more year of working in Education. I am 61, but will be 62 in June. I have 30 years in Arkansas. I will probably keep the insurance that the school district provides, Health Advantage. I live with my mother and a brother.

ObamaCareFacts.com on

If you have access to coverage through your employer then you can’t get cost assistance on the Health Insurance Marketplace. This typically means employer coverage will be the best bet. You can enroll in the Marketplace if you lose employer coverage or you can wait and enroll in Medicare during your initial enrollment period which starts 3 months before you turn 65.

Lee on

I want to retire at 62. The estimates for Obamacare are too expensive. Will I have to pay a penalty to go without insurance?

Joycelyn ONeal on

I recently retired in Alabama. I opted to keep my vision, dental, heart and cancer policies. My husband is a retired Marine. I am also covered with Tricare as his dependent. Is that enough or do I need to enroll in Obamacare?

erin.georgen@gmail.com Erin on

“Obamacare” also known as the Affordable Care Act is not an insurance. It is a law that regulates private and public insurers. If you have minimal essential coverage than you have met the requirements to have insurance and your good.

Bonita Lee on

I want to retire at 62. My health is not great. Would i need to wait till then to file for obama care. That will determine if i can quit or not?

ObamaCareFacts.com on

Assistance under the Affordable Care Act is based on income. Until you are Medicare age you may qualify for either marketplace cost assistance on premiums and/or out-of-pocket costs at HealthCare.Gov or Medicaid. You should really call healthcare.gov to inquire further so you can better understand your options.