Adult Dependent Doesn’t Qualify For Assistance, What do We Do?

Our adult daughter lives with us but she doesn’t have a job and she or we can’t afford for her to have obamacare! My husband and I support her (food,place to live) Our state didn’t expand medicaid at all. What do we need to do on taxes to keep from getting into trouble.

Do we need to do anything for her or does she need to do anything like file an exemption. We are so confused on all of this. Please someone help us on this matter.

Leave a comment

We'll never share your email with anyone else.

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

How is my mother going to add me, her dependent 45 year old child, to her MEDICAID policy??? I don’t qualify for MEDICAID.

This is a dumb as the entire Obamacare act. Americans DON’T WANT SOCIALISM!!


Ok. So dependent can go on a family plan for private plans. For Medicaid everyone is really getting there own coverage and qualifying on their own. An adult dependent who shares a tax family qualifies for coverage based on the income of the family.

People in your tax family are in your coverage family as far as tax credits and assistance programs go.

In short, if your parents qualify for Medicaid then you do to. If your parents are on Medicare then your marketplace cost assistance or Medicaid is based on your household income.


Your situation is only in states that rejected Medicaid expansion. 30 states did expand it and you would be covered under Medicaid there, so consider yourself lucky to have that option.
Or maybe blame your governor for turning down help for a 45 year old with no incime.


Blaming your governor isn’t a bad move. If you are going to blame them, do make sure to call their office and let them know why you’ll be helping to support the other team come next election cycle. A Facebook post or two on their page also doesn’t hurt.

ObamaCareFacts is a free informational site. It's privately owned, and is not owned, operated, or endorsed by the US federal government or state governments. Our contributors have over a decade of experience writing about health insurance. However, we do not offer professional official legal, tax, or medical advice. See: Legal Information and Cookie Policy. For more on our company, learn About or Contact us.