My daughter has jut and a baby. She is unmarried. Is the baby’s father covered under her plan?


Only people who file taxes together can be covered under a family health plan together, even if two people share a child or live together.

So if a man and a woman have a baby together the baby can be covered under either of their plans, but they can't share a family plan without having a filing status that allows them to file together. Thus in your scenario the babies father would not be covered under her insurance plan (although he may have coverage options under the state's Medicaid program). Likewise, if a same-sex couple lives together but isn't married they can't typically share a family plan.

There is an exception to this rule, registered domestic partners or those with a civil union can share a family plan in many states (although people typically have to apply for marketplace tax credits separately ). learn more about domestic partners and health insurance here

The IRS offers these seven facts to help you choose the best filing status for you.

  1. Marital Status.  Your marital status on the last day of the year is your marital status for the entire year.
  2. If You Have a Choice.  If more than one filing status fits you, choose the one that allows you to pay the lowest taxes.
  3. Single Filing Status.  Single filing status generally applies if you are not married, divorced or legally separated according to state law.
  4. Married Filing Jointly.  A married couple may file a return together using the Married Filing Jointly status. If your spouse died during 2012, you usually may still file a joint return for that year.
  5. Married Filing Separately.  If a married couple decides to file their returns separately, each person’s filing status would generally be Married Filing Separately.
  6. Head of Household.  The Head of Household status generally applies if you are not married and have paid more than half the cost of maintaining a home for yourself and a qualifying person.
  7. Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child.  This status may apply if your spouse died during 2010 or 2011, you have a dependent child and you meet certain other conditions.

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.