I would like to know if it’s possible to enroll from Brazil to get covered. I’m going to live in USA for a year (2015/2016) and I need a healthcare which includes assistance for women that is soon to be pregnant. My visa will be F-2. Thanks


For an F2 VISA, if you are already pregnant, you may have limited options for coverage. F1 VISA's seem to be more flexible in terms of getting coverage through HealthCare.Gov. Still if you plan to travel you should at the very least have limited coverage for Maternity. This can absolutely be purchased outside of the Marketplace and short term and travelers coverage can be purchased outside of open enrollment. You shouldn't be subject to the fee with a F2 VISA.

Call HealthCare.Gov for further clarification on immigration status.

Use this HealthCare.Gov link if English is a second language.

HealthCare.Gov. Call to start or finish an application, compare plans, enroll or ask a question.

1-800-318-2596 / TTY: 1-855-889-4325

Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Closed Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day.

If someone has more information on their experience with ObamaCare and F2 VISA's please add a comment below so we can ensure this page has the correct information on it.

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Kritsada Hantragoon on

Hi, I have F2 visa as a dependent to my wife who has F1. My visa valid through March 6, 2021. Am I qualified for Obama care? Thank you

Deviprasad Boggupalli on

Hi, I am on F1 visa, and Indian. My wife is here and on F2 visa. I am planning to buy health insurance for her. What are her best options? I personally have United healthcare insurance specified under University System of Georgia, and my university pays for me. I can add her to my plan, but it’s going to be very expensive. please let me know my options.

ObamaCareFacts.com on

I general adding a second member to a plan can often be a good move. Next year there will be no penalty for not having coverage and you’ll have more options. This year it is a little tricky because any tax paying legal resident needs to have coverage or pay the fee (so short term coverage isn’t an option). Choices include marketplace coverage, coverage through a private insurer, and adding her to your plan. Whatever you do you need to do it ASAP because one only has a short window to enroll after they move.