My granddaughter lives with me in California and attends college. Her father moved to Utah and must change insurance to Obamacare in that state. Does she now get her own policy? and what would that cost? She has a minimum wage job for about 12 hours a week.


If you claim a dependent over 18 they go on your plan (or you'll owe the fee for them), if not they may be eligible for Medicaid based on income. Since CA expanded Medicaid, we suggest going that route. Other options include coverage through the school.

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Anna Aronowitz on

If I’m a 22-year-old full-time student living out-of-state (relative to my parents) and am still being claimed as a dependent, can I be on a different QHP than them, but still qualify for government assistance? Does our family subsidy split between the two plans?