I Owe the Penalty, Can I Get Coverage?

Hi, I am contacting you on behalf of my fiance who was not enrolled in 2014 and was unaware of the open enrollment period for 2015. He has not paid the tax penalty for 2014 yet, and our accountant was unsure of how to add the penalty to his taxes. He is willing and plans to pay the penalty once he is able to figure out how to do it, but also wants to be sure he doesn’t go uninsured any longer. Can you please provide some assistance and guidance? Thank you!

Leave a comment

We'll never share your email with anyone else.

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

hello I lost coverage because I turned 26 on SEP 27,2016 so I was taken off my mother’s plan. I got short term insurance but I know thats not covered under the affordable care act so I was told if I was not covered for 3 months I will have a penalty. I want to enroll soon to a plan that is but I am not sure if it would be too late since the enrollment does not start until jan of 2017. If I still enroll it would barley be over the 3 month of not having insurance that is covered will I still be charged a penalty?.


So this resets each year. It is “less than three full months” each calendar year.

In other words. Part of Sept, and all of Nov and Dec are covered under the exemption for 2016. Then next year you are fine to start there year.

Just make sure to enroll ASAP. If you enroll after the 15th (sometimes at late as the 19th during December) then your plan won’t start until the month after. So if you enroll Dec 25th then your plan starts Feb 1st for example.

ObamaCareFacts is a free informational site. It's privately owned, and is not owned, operated, or endorsed by the US federal government or state governments. Our contributors have over a decade of experience writing about health insurance. However, we do not offer professional official legal, tax, or medical advice. See: Legal Information and Cookie Policy. For more on our company, learn About ObamaCareFacts.com or Contact us.