Does Foreign insurance Count as Minimum Essential Coverage?

A US citizen that resides 3/4 of the year in France and has an insurance policy with travelers insurance through the French system. How do I determine if the policy meets the minimum essential coverage?

Leave a comment

We'll never share your email with anyone else.

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

If I bought a foreign plan as part of an association that covers me worldwide due to continuod travel, how do I know if my flan is compatible with the Obama care act?


The best way to find out if a foreign insurance is considered minimal essential coverage under the Affordable Care Act is to ask the insurer. As mentioned in the answer above, generally foreign employer or group plans are considered minimal essential coverage as long as it is regulated by a government agency. However, the insurer or the regulatory agency would have to apply for recognition. I’ve added this link to the answer above and it the list insurances that have been approved as of September 2016 and includes coverage from other countries.


Interesting and informative. My case is again similar but different.

I am a dual nationality citizen (NL and US), currently living in the US. Once I retire, I plan to live and travel most of the year (summer and autumn) on a sailboat through Europe (EU), moving from country to country for a number of years.
Those years I will not officially live in any EU country and continue to file US federal taxes. In the winter period, I plan to visit family and friends in the US for periods likely exceeding three months each year.
Dutch law allows me (as a Dutch citizen) to buy for Dutch health insurance, while traveling in Europe but without officially living in the Netherlands. This Dutch health insurance also covers medical costs worldwide while on vacation abroad, including in the US. It even covers medical needed repatriation to the Netherlands. Hence there would be no reason to have additional medical insurance in the US. In the base case I would not even sign up for (US) Medicare.
My US taxable income will be above the minimum filing requirements and there will be no foreign earned income exclusion, since I will not file foreign taxes.
Although I will neither have a US residence nor a US address, I will not meet the requirement of being a “bona fide foreign resident”, since while traveling on a boat from country to country, I will not live in a particular EU country or pay income tax in any particular EU country. In addition while staying over three months in the US over the winter I will not meet the 330 day minimum requirement for being abroad. Based on these rules I would not meet the work-around requirement for the Minimum Essential health Coverage (MEC).
Health insurance is expensive enough everywhere and I don’t want to pay it in two countries. Since Medicare does not cover medical expenses in Europe and will be there more than half the year, I do need medical insurance there.
The only way out appears to show that the Dutch insurance plan(s) meet the MEC requirements.

I read the requirements needed to qualify for the Minimum Essential health Coverage (MEC). I did not go through them with a fine comb, but the minimum required coverage standards in the Netherlands for the standard comprehensive health insurance are more comprehensive than for most US plans meeting MEC, while they cover urgent medical expenses while on vacation abroad, including the USA. Based on this I would expect the standard Dutch government approved medical insurance plans to meet the MEC standards.
What do I have to do to get such a foreign health insurance plan recognized to meet MEC standards?


I have a client with a SMLLC , she is covered by her husband foreign insurance because he works for a foreign government.
Does this qualifies for the minimum essential coverage.

ObamaCareFacts is a free informational site. It's privately owned, and is not owned, operated, or endorsed by the US federal government or state governments. Our contributors have over a decade of experience writing about health insurance. However, we do not offer professional official legal, tax, or medical advice. See: Legal Information and Cookie Policy. For more on our company, learn About or Contact us.