Out of State Employment, Does it Affect Obamacare Eligibility?

My wife and I currently live in Illinois, but are moving to California in the next 2-3 months.

Currently we both have employers in Illinois who offer health coverage. I have opted out of my employer’s plan. Both my wife and I are covered under her employer’s plan.

My wife will not be keeping her current job when we move. I WILL be keeping my current job with my Illinois employer, after we move to California. I will work remotely, but still be a full time employee.

We would like to BOTH sign up for Obamacare once we are in California and are no longer covered by my wife’s employers health coverage.

MY QUESTION: Can both my wife and I enroll in Obamacare in California, even though my Illinois employer still offers health coverage, which we are not currently taking advantage of, and do not wish to take advantage of in the future. Will we lose any potential discounts or tax breaks on our Obamacare because we are voluntarily opting-out of the coverage that is offered to me through my Illinois employer? – Bob

Leave a comment

We'll never share your email with anyone else.

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

ObamaCareFacts is a free informational site. It's privately owned, and is not owned, operated, or endorsed by the US federal government or state governments. Our contributors have over a decade of experience writing about health insurance. However, we do not offer professional official legal, tax, or medical advice. See: Legal Information and Cookie Policy. For more on our company, learn About ObamaCareFacts.com or Contact us.