Hi I’m an Australian on an 0-1 visa. will my travel insurance (which covers medical) stop me from receiving a penalty at tax time?


If you file taxes in the US, live in the US for more than a month in a year, and are lawfully present, then you need Major Medical coverage. Travelers insurance typically doesn't count as major medical. So if you would otherwise owe the fee, then yes you need coverage. If you are exempt from the individual mandate then travelers is fine.

Contact HealthCare.Gov with questions in regards to coverage and immigration status. 1-800-318-2596 / TTY: 1-855-889-4325

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

ED on

This answer does not clarify eligibility for health insurance, it only says I need to have on as an expat.

ObamaCareFacts.com on

Anyone legally present in the US qualifies to use the marketplace. Assistance options then depend on taxable income. You can contact healthcare.gov for more info.