When Should Dependent Turning 26 Enroll in Their Own Plan?

Dependent will be 26 years old on May 26th,2015 how long does it take to enroll him.

In other words should I start in April or what is the latest date in May.

I understand he is covered under my policy until the last day of his birthday month but I do not know how much time I need to get started with enrollment.

Leave a comment

We'll never share your email with anyone else.

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

I am 25 years old and still covered under my parent’s company’s insurance plan. I will be turning 26 on March 28, 2017. I am working full-time now, and plan on enrolling in my employer’s plan this year, which becomes effective July 1, 2017. Would I be required to enroll in an Obamacare plan to cover the time between March 28th and July 1st? Would I be required to pay a penalty fee or would I be considered exempt? Thank you!


Everyone is automatically eligible for a short-term coverage gap exemption each year. However, the period you’re talking about it longer than that. Have you checked to see what plans are available to you through the marketplace? Depending on you’re income and location, you may find the plans more affordable then you think because of your age. You’re also under 30 which means you can use the marketplace to enroll in catastrophic coverage, if thats more affordable for those months.


My son is turning 26 in October and will no longer be eligible to remain on our employer-provided health plan. He still lives with us, but only has a part-time job that does not offer a health plan. Does he need to include our income if he applies for Obama care as a single person?


You should further explain that the 26 year old will not qualify for assistance for tax credits as long as they reside in the parent’s home, as ALL household income is considered in the cost when the insured party lives in a household with RELATED persons.

ObamaCareFacts is a free informational site. It's privately owned, and is not owned, operated, or endorsed by the US federal government or state governments. Our contributors have over a decade of experience writing about health insurance. However, we do not offer professional official legal, tax, or medical advice. See: Legal Information and Cookie Policy. For more on our company, learn About ObamaCareFacts.com or Contact us.