Hi, sorry to take your time. I recently move this month (Feb) from Puerto Rico (US island) to Pennsylvania.

I am single , no kids , no job,and I am looking to find a job.

But in the meantime I want a to be covered by health insurance, I don’t know if I will qualify for it. Do I have to pay it or I can qualify for a free Health insurance ? (since I don’t have income I only have saved money until I get my first job here).

I’m not a senior citizen just a young adult. What will be my option? I will appreciated your response. Thanks you


When you move to the US you become eligible for Marketplace coverage. Your access to cost assistance, including Medicaid, depends upon income and immigration status. When you move outside of open enrollment, you'll want to look into special enrollment options. Considering all of this, your best bet will be to simply call HeatlhCare.Gov.

Call to start or finish an application, compare plans, enroll or ask a question.

1-800-318-2596 / TTY: 1-855-889-4325

Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Closed Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day.

Rate and Comment on the Answer

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1 2 3 4 5

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

evelyn on

Answer Rating:

90 year old mother in-law has just moved from P.R. and had SSS insurance and Medicare. She only has small SS check coming in and has a heart condition. She is now panicking. What should she do about insurance and where does she start. Lives in PA. Thanks

ObamaCareFacts.com on

If she has Medicare then she doesn’t need (and can’t get) an private Marketplace health plan. She would need to use Medicare to coordinate the care she needs, if she needs further coverage she should look into Par D, Medicare advantage, and/or Medigap options during her next open enrollment period. However, even just Original Medicare Part A & B provides pretty solid coverage for essential health services, so she should have nothing to panic about.