Open Enrollment is Here – Get Covered Until Jan 15 2022 in Most States
Open enrollment started Nov 1st, 2021, and ends Jan 15 2022 in most states. You can get covered and find out if you qualify for cost assistance during open enrollment. This year there is more assistance, plus there are caps on what people can pay even if they don’t qualify for assistance due to changes set forth by the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.
Below are the key dates and deadlines for 2022 open enrollment.
Key Dates For ObamaCare Open Enrollment 2022 (the Open Enrollment Season For Plans Held in 2022)
- Monday, November 1, 2021. Open Enrollment begins.
- Saturday, January 15, 2022: Open Enrollment ends (extensions may be granted).
- Saturday, January 1, 2022: The earliest a plan purchased during open enrollment can start.
TIP: Only plans sold on the health insurance marketplace qualify for cost assistance.
TIP: If you purchase a plan after Dec 15th, for example in a state that offers extensions, your plan may not start by Jan 1st (check your state’s rules noted below). Please make sure to check your start date. Your plan doesn’t start until you make your first payment!
State Specific Deadlines and Extensions for the 2022 Open Enrollment Season
States with state-based exchanges may issue extensions each year, some states have permanent extensions, and the federal government may issue extensions each year as well. Which extensions are offered is subject to change.
Below are the state-based deadlines for 2021 for marketplace coverage under the ACA and some notes on federal deadline extensions.
Please double-check the official state-based websites and the federal marketplace HealthCare.Gov to confirm extensions each year, as some extensions are subject to change at any time.
NOTE: The state-specific 2022 deadlines for health insurance listed below are either permanent or in place for this year only. We will update these deadlines if and when there are changes. However, you should confirm dates with your state’s website as they are subject to further changes during the year. Lastly, some deadlines may be extended for 2022 due to a federal rule change that extended open enrollment until Jan 15th for 2022.
- California: October 15, 2021 through January 31, 2022. This a permanent extension.
- Colorado: November 1, 2021 through January 15, 2022. This a permanent extension.
- Connecticut: November 1, 2021 through January 15, 2022.
- Idaho: November 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021.
- Massachusetts: November 1, 2021 through January 23, 2022. This a permanent extension.
- Minnesota: November 1, 2021 through December 22, 2021.
- Nevada: November 1, 2021 through January 15, 2022.
- New Jersey: November 1, 2021 through January 31, 2022.
- New York: November 1, 2021 through January 31, 2022.
- Pennsylvania: November 1, 2021 through January 15, 2022.
- Rhode Island: October 15, 2021 through December 31, 2022.
- Washington DC: November 1, 2021 through January 31, 2022. This a permanent extension.
Other states may be subject to extension in 2022 as well. States with state-run exchanges can issue last-minute extensions, and the federal government can issue an extension for all states using the federal marketplace as well.